[protege-discussion] question about owl subclass axioms

irene kakogianni at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 08:39:24 PST 2009

Hello,

I have a question about writing subclass axioms Protege 3.4. I know that
OWL-DL allows expressions such as the following:

SubClassOf( ObjectSomeValuesFrom( *a:hasChild* *a:Child* ) *a:Parent* ) If
some object has a child, then this object is a parent.

However, I haven't seen a way to write such an expression, that is define
the superclass of an anonymous class, using Protege.

Is it possible to write such axioms using Protege? Is defining an equivalent
named class for the ObjectSomeValuesFrom( *a:hasChild* *a:Child* ) the only
way to express the above axiom? For example:

EquivalentClasses(a:PersonWithChild ObjectSomeValuesFrom( *a:hasChild* *
a:Child* ))
SubClassOf( a:PersonWithChild *a:Parent* )