[protege-discussion] Unable to connect to remote protege server using Ontology rich client invoked from webprotege

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 10 20:06:39 PST 2009

OK, thanks.

It looks like the connection times out. Most likely this is a firewall
problem. The Protege client and server communicate using two ports
through RMI.

If the client is on a different machine it will try to access the server
using the two ports. The solution is to open two ports on your server
machine (you can choose whichever ports you want), then configure the
Protege server to use these ports (see [1]), and then tell WebProtege
about this, too [2]. These are both easy configuration to make
(basically just uncomment two lines in a script and a config file).

If you change the ports, you should also edit the jnlp file, and add the
port to the server host name in the arguments section. Something like:

<argument>-propedu.stanford.smi.protege.server.ServerPanel.host_name=bmir-protege-dev1.stanford.edu:5200</argument>

Tania

[1]:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Protege_Client_Server_Tutorial_Advanced#Working_with_Firewalls
[2]: