[protege-discussion] Unable to connect to remote protege server using Ontology rich client invoked from webprotege

Kai lists at orbitwerks.com
Tue Nov 10 21:09:16 PST 2009

Tania Tudorache <tudorache <at> stanford.edu> writes:

> OK, thanks.
> It looks like the connection times out. Most likely this is a firewall
> problem. The Protege client and server communicate using two ports
> through RMI.
> If the client is on a different machine it will try to access the
> server using the two ports. The solution is to open two ports on your
> server machine (you can choose whichever ports you want), then
> configure the Protege server to use these ports (see [1]), and then
> tell WebProtege about this, too [2]. These are both easy configuration
> to make (basically just uncomment two lines in a script and a config
> file).
> If you change the ports, you should also edit the jnlp file, and add
> the port to the server host name in the arguments section. Something
> like:
> <argument>-propedu.stanford.smi.protege.server.ServerPanel.
host_name=bmir-protege-
dev1.stanford.edu:5200</argument>
> Tania
> [1]:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Protege_Client_Server_
Tutorial_Advanced#Working_with_Fir
ewalls
> [2]:
> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtegeAdminGuide

Thank you Tania,

I don't think there's a firewall issue - there are no firewalls
configured between the machines and the
standard client (Protege 3.4.1) can connect without any
problem to the server - only the web-start rich
client has a problem. Any other idea what I could try?

Kai.