[protege-discussion] Unable to connect to remote protege server using Ontology rich client invoked from webprotege

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 16 10:14:19 PST 2009

I don't know what to make of this exception.  It says that it failed
to get data at some point when trying to connect to the rmi registry.
This is the first network connection that a Protege client tries to
make when it is attempting to connect to a server.  It happens before
the client starts to connect and talk to the server (the client gets
the server address from the rmiregistry).  It is also potentially the
first data that the client will try to get off the network (it is not
the read after a connect - it is a read during a connect).  If this
wasn't java web start and if you hadn't successfully connected with a
rich client then I would tell you that you are having a network problem.

Is the server address identical when you connect using java web start
and the Protege rich client?

-Timothy