[protege-discussion] Unable to connect to remote protege server using Ontology rich client invoked from webprotege

Kai lists at orbitwerks.com
Mon Nov 16 11:05:03 PST 2009

Timothy Redmond <tredmond <at> stanford.edu> writes:

> I don't know what to make of this exception.  It says that it failed
> to get data at some point when trying to connect to the rmi registry.
> This is the first network connection that a Protege client tries to
> make when it is attempting to connect to a server.  It happens before
> the client starts to connect and talk to the server (the client gets
> the server address from the rmiregistry).  It is also potentially the
> first data that the client will try to get off the network (it is not
> the read after a connect - it is a read during a connect).  If this
> wasn't java web start and if you hadn't successfully connected with a
> rich client then I would tell you that you are having a network problem.
>
> Is the server address identical when you connect using java web start
> and the Protege rich client?
>
> -Timothy

Yes, the server address is identical, however, when I connect from the
Protege (non-web-start) client I don't need to use the port (:5200).
If I do, it won't connect. The webstart, however, doesn't even accept
the OK button unless I append (:5200) - does that hint to any
difference in server connectivity implementation between the two methods?

Kai.