[protege-discussion] Multiple inheritance

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Thu Nov 19 03:01:44 PST 2009

In Protege 3 (Frames) you can certainly do multiple inheritance and I
expect that this is also true in Protege 4.

I think there are 2 concepts that you need to consider here, as it
feels a bit like your issue with concepts inheriting from different
classes depending on their meaning is more about polymorphism than
inheritance. That is, the concept that you are working with can be of
different classes but all are valid in this situation. e.g. you may
have a slot in a class called "relative" which need to hold instances
of classes Parent, Child, Sibling etc. all of which are valid for that
slot. This is different from defining a Relative class that, e.g.
inherits from Parent, Child and Sibling.

You might achieve this by having an Instance slot on a class that can
allow instances of more than one class. You simply add to the list of
allowed classes and Protege handles this very nicely.

Multiple inheritance in Protege 3 Frames, does what you would expect
by creating a class that has all the attributes of all the parent
classes. At the forms level, this means that the forms from the parent
classes are concatenated, too.  Slots/attributes that appear in more
than one parent class are not repeated.

I realise that this may not work quite like this in Protege 4 but
hopefully it helps get you started.

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Proud sponsors of The Essential Project.
www.enterprise-architecture.org