[protege-discussion] XML Tab / class missing

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Mon Nov 23 09:08:27 PST 2009

Hi Sean,

I've been trying to replicate this using Protege 3.4.1 but when I drag
a class from the class browser (on the right) to the 'instances' field
(on the left) the classes - both concrete and abstract - remains in
the class browser. The name of the class is copied into the
'instances' field but nothing else happens. I got an XML
representation of the ontology (I tried both the radio button options:
no ontology and XML tree) saved to the Protege root directory using
the name of the Class that I'd dragged across when I pushed the
'<<export button'.

Sadly, I don't seem to be able to replicate this problem. Maybe I'm
missing a step?

Are you using a file-based or a database backend for Protege? If it's
the PINS/PONT and you can see the class (as you suggest) it should be
possible to 'wire it' back into place by editing the PONT file
accordingly. This is a bit more 'tricky' if you have a database backend!
A search for the missing class in the Classes Tab didn't show your
class (e.g. been accidentally refactored to a new parent class)?

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Proud sponsors of The Essential Project.
www.enterprise-architecture.org