[protege-discussion] big problem

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 24 15:33:16 PST 2009

This is a confusing question, possibly partly because you are not
using standard owl terms.  Reply with an owl ontology attached and we
will probably get everything figured out.

> Hello,
> i have a big problem when i build my ontology, i have 2 instances
> for 2 different classes

Already I am confused.  When you say instances, I think you might mean
owl Individuals (members of owl classes).  But I am not sure what you
mean by "for".  My suspicion is that what you are saying here is that
you have two owl classes.  But you could be saying that you have two
owl classes, A and B, and two owl individuals, i and j, one in each
class (i in A, j in B).

> with the same name

If two individuals have the same name (rdf:id) then they are the same
individual.  If two classes have the same name then they are the same
class.

> (instance has 2 types )

So this sounds like there is an owl individual, i, which is a member
of two separate classes

> when i add a child to one of them

Except that individuals don't have children.

> (instance of sub class)

Makes no sense if instance is an owl Individual.

> i find it become a child to the 2 instances,

So it is possible that what you are saying is that you have a
reference to a class, A, in two separate places.  Since both
references to the class use the same name (rdf:id), they both are
naming the same class.  You add a child (sub class) to that single
class and both references to the same class show the same child.

Send the ontology and try asking the question again.

-Timothy