[protege-discussion] Regarding 'status' of Ontologies in Protege

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 30 17:33:29 PST 2009

Barani,

It is easy to extend the ChAO ontology (used by Collaborative Protege) with a "status" property attached to the Ontology_Component that can take as values a predefined set of values.

Or even easier, create an annotation, called Status (as a subclass of Annotation in ChAO), attach to it a property, for example, called statusValue which can take as values "draft", "candidate", "approved" etc. Configure the form of the Status class to show the statusValue as a drop-down box. We have detailed instructions on the wiki on how to create your own annotation type in ChAO [1].

Collaborative Protege will automatically pick up the new annotation, and then you can attach in the UI a status to any class, slot, instance, etc. by simply selecting the Status annotation from the collaborative panel.

We are working on executing generic workflows for certain actions (e.g. when changing the state), but we only have a prototype so far.

Another option is to add directly in your ontology a status property to a class. If you use OWL, you can use an annotation property; in Frames you would need to create a metaclass that has a status template slot, and your classes would be instances of that metaclass, and then you can set the status value at the level of classes.

Tania

[1]:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Collaborative_Protege#Adding_your_own_note_type