[protege-discussion] WebProtege and user accounts

Shahim Essaid sielists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 09:57:59 PDT 2009

Hello,

I am trying WebProtege build 200 for the first time.  I noticed few issues
with how WebProtege handles the user accounts unless I have something wrong
on my end.  Below are some observations but I am not sure if this is a
problem on my side or if it is the limitation of alpha software.

   1. WebProtege needs read access in addition to list access before it can
   show the project names.  This is different from the Protege client setup.
   2. WebProtege does not take-on the identity of the logged in user.  All
   edits show as being performed by WebProtege.  This doesn't help with change
   tracking.
   3. The WebProtege user account needs to have write access since it
   doesn't use the rights of the logged in user.  This is not helpful because
   access rights can not be well controlled.
   4. WebProtege uses the rights of the logged in user to activate few
   additional buttons but the actual read and write actions are done by using
   the WebProtege user account.  One interesting side effect of this was the
   following: I logged in with my account and WebProtege activated the
   add/delete class buttons.  I then logged out but the buttons remained active
   and I could still add/delete classes even after I logged out because
   WebProtege has write access.  The buttons were deactivated if I refresh the
   page but simply logging out does not do that.
   5. If I don't give WebProtege write access then no user can edit the
   ontology because WebProtege doesn't take on their identity and use their
   privileges.

Is this how WebProtege build 200 is supposed to behave?

Thanks,
Shahim