[protege-discussion] Instances of a slot

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Fri Oct 2 10:08:08 PDT 2009

Hi Marian,

Yes, you need to start with the Instance class. In this case, you get
an Instance object for the "Ball" instance, e.g. (assuming we have a
reference to the KnowledgeBase of the Project, 'knowledgebase')

aProductList = knowledgebase.getCls("Product").getDirectInstances()

// Iterate through aProductList to find "Ball" use getName() to find
the name of the instance and use this object, named 'aBall'

Instance aBall = // THE INSTANCE, aProduct, IN aProductList WHERE
aProduct.getName() = "Ball"

Slot aMadeOfSlot = knowledgebase.getSlot("madeOf")
Instance madeOf = aBall.getDirectOwnSlotValue(aMadeOfSlot)

As "madeOf" is an Instance slot, you will be returned an Instance
object that you can then interrogate:

String materialOfBall = madeOf.getName()

Sorry for the mix of psuedo code and narrative but hopefully this
makes sense
Let me know if you'd like more help

Regards

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Proud sponsors of The Essential Project.
www.enterprise-architecture.org