[protege-discussion] WebProtege and user accounts

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Oct 2 11:58:59 PDT 2009

First off, let me say that I don't have any particular insight to
WebProtege.  These comments are just general, client-server issues.

On Oct 2, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Shahim Essaid wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying WebProtege build 200 for the first time.  I noticed few
> issues with how WebProtege handles the user accounts unless I have
> something wrong on my end.  Below are some observations but I am not
> sure if this is a problem on my side or if it is the limitation of
> alpha software.
>
> 	• WebProtege needs read access in addition to list access before it
> can show the project names.  This is different from the Protege
> client setup.
> 	• WebProtege does not take-on the identity of the logged in user.
> All edits show as being performed by WebProtege.  This doesn't help
> with change tracking.
> 	• The WebProtege user account needs to have write access since it
> doesn't use the rights of the logged in user.  This is not helpful
> because access rights can not be well controlled.
> 	• WebProtege uses the rights of the logged in user to activate few
> additional buttons but the actual read and write actions are done by
> using the WebProtege user account.  One interesting side effect of
> this was the following: I logged in with my account and WebProtege
> activated the add/delete class buttons.  I then logged out but the
> buttons remained active and I could still add/delete classes even
> after I logged out because WebProtege has write access.  The buttons
> were deactivated if I refresh the page but simply logging out does
> not do that.
> 	• If I don't give WebProtege write access then no user can edit the
> ontology because WebProtege doesn't take on their identity and use
> their privileges.
> Is this how WebProtege build 200 is supposed to behave?

The real problem is that when you run any server program, it has to be
run (at least in Unix-style systems) as some user.  In the case of
WebProtege, it seems that it runs as the webprotege user.  But when
running as the webprotege user, it will typically not be able to
change it's user id.  It presumably also runs its own separate set of
users and logins, so that you can give users access to the WebProtege
service without having to create accounts for them on your machine.

This is generally a good thing, since it limits the damage that can be
done if the system is successfully attacked.  If WebProtege were able
to take on any user identity, then a breech in its security would
imperil the entire machine, since the intruder could impersonate
anyone, possibly even root.  On the other hand, by limiting the user
to a non-privileged account, any such intrusion can be contained
because of limitations to the access rights of the web service.