[protege-discussion] "'frame' used in key specification without a key length" error when converting projects to MySQL

Jamie Dowell Jamie_Dowell at hc-sc.gc.ca
Fri Oct 9 10:06:32 PDT 2009

No matter which project file I try to load into MySQL (including the sample
data files) I get the following errors:

Save Project Errors Popup Window:

Errors found performing operation.

1. Errors at copying knowledgebase jdbc:mysql://localhost/......
    Exception class java.sql.SQLException.  Message: BLOB/TEXT column
'frame' used in key specification without a key length

See console and log for more details.

>From Console:

Creating database indicies:
WARNING: Failed to create table on database MySQL with command 'CREATE
TABLE Met
aProject (frame VARBINARY(500) NOT NULL, frame_type SMALLINT NOT NULL, slot
VARB
INARY(500) NOT NULL, facet VARBINARY(500) NOT NULL, is_template BIT NOT
NULL, va
lue_index INT NOT NULL, value_type SMALLINT NOT NULL, short_value VARCHAR
(500) C
OLLATE utf8_general_ci, long_value MEDIUMTEXT)' :BLOB/TEXT column 'frame'
used i
n key specification without a key length --
DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.createTable()

WARNING: Errors at copying knowledgebase jdbc:mysql://localhost/... -- com.
mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: BLOB/TEXT column
'frame'
used in key specification without a key length

If I copy and paste the above query into a manual MySQL query it executes
without the error.  I have tried changing the driver.jar file to an older
version and have tried many different project files.  Some columns are
getting created in the table but the process does not complete due to this
error.

Has anyone seen this or does anyone have any ideas?  I have searched the
archives of this mailing list to no avail.

Thank you,

Jamie