[protege-discussion] Problems with database backend using DB2

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Fri Oct 16 02:23:44 PDT 2009

Further to this problem, here is the exception that is being raised
when Protege attempts to create the database for the project in DB2.

My user reports that, "We are using Protege 3.4.1 "DB2 v8.1.0.128",
"s061108", "U810099", and FixPak  "14"

The exception follows, and you can see that the length parameters for
the VARCHAR columns are not reported. Now, whether this means that
Protege is not sending them in the CREATE TABLE statement or that DB2
is not reporting them in the exception, e.g. if the statement looks
like 'frame VARCHAR() NOT NULL' because the call to DB2 to get the max
length isn't returning anything.
DB2 is reporting that the parameters for creating the columns are not
valid.

WARNING: Failed to create table on database DB2/SUN with command
'CREATE TABLE essentialbaseline (frame VARCHAR NOT NULL, frame_type
SMALLINT NOT NULL, slot VARCHAR NOT NULL, facet VARCHAR NOT NULL,
is_template SMALLINT NOT NULL, value_index INTEGER NOT NULL,
value_type SMALLINT NOT NULL, short_value VARCHAR, long_value LONG
VARCHAR)' :DB2 SQL error: SQLCODE: -604, SQLSTATE: 42611, SQLERRMC:
FRAME -- DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.createTable()
WARNING: Errors at copying knowledgebase jdbc:db2://zddogdb1:50000/
DBEASD01 -- com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.SqlException: DB2 SQL error: SQLCODE:
-604, SQLSTATE: 42611, SQLERRMC: FRAME
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.id.e(id.java:1640)
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.id.b(id.java:1197)
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.c.fb.i(fb.java:234)
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.c.fb.b(fb.java:50)
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.c.s.b(s.java:36)
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.c.wb.f(wb.java:141)
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.id.m(id.java:1194)
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.id.a(id.java:1922)
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.id.c(id.java:560)
at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.id.executeUpdate(id.java:545)
at
edu
.stanford
.smi
.protege
.storage.database.AbstractDatabaseFrameDb.executeUpdate(Unknown Source)
at
edu
.stanford
.smi
.protege.storage.database.DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.createTable(Unknown
Source)
at
edu
.stanford
.smi
.protege
.storage
.database.DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.ensureEmptyTableExists(Unknown Source)
at
edu
.stanford
.smi
.protege.storage.database.DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.overwriteKB(Unknown
Source)
at
edu
.stanford
.smi
.protege
.storage
.database.DatabaseKnowledgeBaseFactory.copyKnowledgeBase(Unknown Source)
at
edu
.stanford
.smi
.protege
.storage
.database.DatabaseKnowledgeBaseFactory.copyKnowledgeBase(Unknown Source)
at
edu
.stanford
.smi
.protege
.storage
.database.DatabaseKnowledgeBaseFactory.saveKnowledgeBase(Unknown Source)
at edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.Project.saveDomainKB(Unknown Source)
at edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.Project.save(Unknown Source)
at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.save(Unknown Source)
at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.saveProjectRequest(Unknown
Source)
at edu.stanford.smi.protege.action.SaveProject.actionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:
1849)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton
$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2169)
at
javax
.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:
420)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:
258)
at
javax
.swing
.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:
236)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:
231)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5517)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3135)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3984)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2024)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:
4212)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3892)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3822)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2010)
at
java
.awt
.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:
242)
at
java
.awt
.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:
163)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

Thanks for your help

Regards

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Proud sponsors of The Essential Project.
www.enterprise-architecture.org