[protege-discussion] (web)Protege for collaborative ontologies editing

Simon SCHERRER simon.scherrer at insa-strasbourg.fr
Thu Oct 22 04:19:36 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I need to setup a (web)Protege environment for several research teams. These
teams will work on shared ontologies. I followed the Administrator's Guide
and I installed webProtege on a Ubuntu Server in Local Mode. Unfortunately,
I meet the same problems as others users (i.e. (collaborative_)newspaper and
wines examples won't open, Pizza example data remains unmodified after
server restart, new project instances don't appear in "My webProtege" tab
after metaproject update and upload). The only example that seems to run
correctly on my server is collaborative_Pizza.

So my questions are :

1. What's the preferred mode for a collaborative ontologies editing
environment (Local vs. External Mode) ? I don't see the big difference
except the Protege server being outside the servlets container so as to
administer and connect with Protege clients.

2. How were built the annotation_collaborativePizza (.owl.pprj, .owl.rdf,
.owl.rdfs) and collaborative_Pizza (.owl, .owl.pprj) ontologies ? I'd like
to reproduce this working example with our own ontologies, shared among
teams.

Regards,

Simon