[protege-discussion] Schizophrenic model?

maarten maarten at snowlion.nl
Thu Oct 29 05:16:37 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I have the following problem modeling symptoms of schizophrenia. Someone
is diagnosed as schizophrenic when he/she (among other things) has at
least 2 of the following symptoms:
1. Delusions
2. Hallucinations
3. Disorganized speech
4. (Grossly disorganized behavior or Catatonic behavior)

The problem is that I'm unable to avoid that some is diagnosed as
schizophrenic if he/she has both symptoms 'Grossly disorganized
behavior' and 'Catatonic behavior' and no other symptoms, while they
should count for 1 only.

I have tried to model this in a straightforward way:
- define a defined class GC consisting of Grossly .. or Catatonic behavior)
- define an auxiliary SchizophreniaSymptom consisting of 1-3 and GC
- define someone schizophrenia as someone with min 2 of symptoms of
SchizophreniaSymptom
(see attachment)

but no success...

Is it possible to model this correctly, so that someone with both both
symptoms from 4 are not doubly counted? Any pointers in the right
direction appreciated. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Maarten

protege-discussion at lists.stanford.edu