[protege-discussion] Schizophrenic model?

Samson Tu swt at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 29 15:04:37 PDT 2009

Hi,

Here is one approach that should work:

1. Allow a Finding hierarchy of any granularity, so you may have
    Delusions
       Bizarre delusion
       Non-Bizarre delusion
       Mood-congruent
       Mood-neutral
    Hallucinations
    Disorganized speech
    Grossly disorganized behavior
    Catatonic behavior)

2. Define a Schizophrenia-defining-criterion hierarchy with the 4
subclasses Delusion_criterion, ...
Grossly_disorganized_or_catatonic_behavior

3. Create singleton individuals for each Schizophrenia-defining-criterion

4. Define rules of the form:
    Person(?p)and has_symptom(?p, ?s) and Delusions(?s) =>
satisfy_criterion(?p, d), where d is the singleton individual of the
Delusions_criterion class

5. Define Schizophrenia as a disease where a person's satisfy_criterion
is min 2 Schizophrenia-defining-criterion

The point is that Schizophrenia definition counts the number of criteria
that are satisfied, not the number of symptoms present. Symptoms may be
very granule.

Another approach is to take combinations of 2 symptom classes from the 5
in the list of criteria.

Samson