[protege-discussion] The Pellet reasoner regularly blows up 'running out of memory'

Safran, Tracy (NIH/NCI) [C] safrant at
Wed Sep 2 13:18:08 PDT 2009

Try upping the PERMGEN memory

Tracy M. Safran
Contractor - SAIC Frederick
EVS support

From: protege-discussion-bounces at [mailto:protege-discussion-bounces at] On Behalf Of Terry Griffin
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 4:04 PM
To: protege-discussion at
Subject: Re: [protege-discussion] The Pellet reasoner regularly blows up 'running out of memory'

I have a small Pizza ontology (from the tutorial), we're using Protege 3.4.1 (build 537) with Pellet 1.5.2 (direct). I have the Java VM configured with 1.5Gb of memory. I have a very small number of individuals.

 Doing a "check consistency" takes a really long time and eventually generates an "OutOfMemoryException" from Java.

Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, comments?