[protege-discussion] Help needed in understanding the advantage of OWL over plain XML

Daya Patil daya.patil at tcs.com
Tue Sep 8 21:38:39 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the world of ontology, so need your help in
understanding certain basic fundamentals. I would like to understand what
advantage does one get in creating an ontology. After all, it has an XML
representation of the data. So why not store the data that an ontology
would represent in plain XML itself? Also if we talk about domain
modelling, this is possible in other tools like UML, so what advantage
does Ontology tools like Protege have over  other modelling tools?
I am sorry to be too naive here, but I really need help in understanding
these basic features in ontology.

Thanks,
Daya.
and any attachments. Thank you