[protege-discussion] An interesting pizza... or max and exactly cardinality not working?

maarten maarten at snowlion.nl
Wed Sep 9 03:17:34 PDT 2009

Dear Thomas,

Thanks for the interesting links. Things make more sense now. This open
world semantics is sometimes confusing. However, my main problem I
realise is that I was considering types, instead of individuals e.g.:

1. Pizza and hasTopping exactly 2 CheeseTopping

I understood as:

2. Pizza and hasTopping exactly 2 /types of/ CheeseTopping

Having pizzas with two (disjoint) cheese toppings in a closed
definition, I couldn't figure out why the reasoner couldn't classify the
pizza. So, it is all about individuals. Makes sense (also).
Of course, in 1. you can never be sure that a pizza doesn't have 3
mozzarella toppings of instance.

Thanks again,

Maarten