[protege-discussion] Protege-web question

Ron Schultz rcaschultz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 20:47:35 PDT 2009

Just wondering if any further progress had been made on documenting the
configuration.xml. I have built and compiled Web Protege per the development
guide with no issues, and started experimenting with the
PropertyFieldPortlet. Getting a feel for it but feel like I am navigating a
bit in the dark. Any pointers would be much appreciated. An example using
the NewsPaper project would probably be helpful since I am unfamiliar with
ICD. I see the tabbed interface but am unsure what connects to what. See
many references to http://who.int and not sure why. My understanding (better
stated - guessing :-)) of the configuration XML is as follows:

Within the configuration.ICD.XML reviewed specifically for the Property
Field Portlet definition, I am guessing at the following:

The first name element in the XML points to the Java class name for the
portlet. This is followed by an element for the height specification and end
element for the width specification. I can see the height specification
being set to 600 but also see the width specified as zero. I am assuming a
width of zero causes the portlet to automatically size.

Next there is a properties element defining all of the individual properties
for each each form to be displayed within the portlet. For the ICD example a
tabbed form is to be displayed as signified by the string element "tabs"
defined within the first and only entry element (at this level within the
XML hierarchy).

Besides a string element, the entry element also contains a list element.
This list element contains all the forms that need to be displayed. Each
form is defined as a map of entries contained within the list.

The first entry in the map contains the title of the form. The first string
in the entry is the term "title". The second string is the actual text to be
placed into the title.

The second entry in the map references the instance name being operated
against within a string element. The second entry also contains a map of
entries. These subsequent entries define what fields from the instance are
to be displayed and how to render them.

These subsequent entries provide the details of how to display each property
field. The last entry contains the string "index" and another string for the
value of the index. I am not entirely sure what this is used for.

So I guess my fundamental question is how do I connect the dots? Assuming I
was using the newspaper project and I wanted to build a property field
portlet to allow editing for specific properties associated with an author,
how exactly do I connect the selection of an instance of an author to the
property field portlet for its display?

Any thoughts or guidance or corrections to the above would be much
appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

Ron