[protege-discussion] protege with other languages

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 16 06:31:24 PDT 2010

On 04/16/2010 02:06 AM, manjula wijewickrema wrote:
> Dear Timothy,
> Thanks a lot for your reply. It courages me to study furthermore. The
> last issue, I have asked is, if Protege supports to any other
> languages (say Sinhala) then what is the procedure we can follow to
> use Sinhala in order to build ontologies in Protege (just instead of
> default English language)?

Actually there is something else to say and I should have mentioned this
in my earlier post.  It is very likely that you want all your concepts
to have both english and sinhala names (and perhaps some other languages
also).  In addition depending on who is viewing the ontology, you may
want it to be seen in whatever language they use.

There is a standard accepted way to do this.  Instead of expecting the
concepts in the ontology to be viewed by their resource name, you give
each concept an rdfs:label annotation value.  Users are then expected to
use the rdfs:label field to view the name of each concept in the
ontology.  Each rdfs:label annotation can include a language
specification.  So for Sinhala you would use "sin" to indicate the
language.  For english you would use en.  Thus different people with
different default languages can see the same ontology in their language.

This way of writing an ontology is fully supported in Protege 3 and 4
and will be understood by owl tools in general.

-Timothy