[protege-discussion] represent classes in other languages

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 22 07:14:14 PDT 2010

This is one of the few times where I will make a foray into a modeling
issue.  There are two disadvantages to the approach that you describe.
First when you change the name of a class the rdf:id (IRI) of the class
changes.  That means that all ontologies that import this resource would
have to change or they would not find the resource.   Suppose if a
russian speaker added the class called

                     http://earth.jscc.ru/ontologies/dic.owl#гранит_типа_а

but mistypes the name when he creates the english version of the class
and calls it

                      http://earth.jscc.ru/ontologies/dic.owl#A-type_gramite

(or vice versa but not knowing any russian it is easier for me to
mispell the english.)  Now suppose that this is not noticed and some
time goes by.  Other ontologies reference the english class

                      http://earth.jscc.ru/ontologies/dic.owl#A-type_gramite.

Finally the mistake is noticed and the english class gets renamed to

                      http://earth.jscc.ru/ontologies/dic.owl#A-type_granite.

Now all the ontologies that reference the english class will need to get
modified.

The second disadvantage is that in this ontology, the assertions about
A-type_granite will exist in more than one place.  I think that this
might make the ontology more difficult to read.

An alternative approach - which is often recommended - is to represent
the human readable names of the terms in the ontologies with the
rdfs:label annotation.  It is probably recommended that the rdf:id would
be meaningless in this case.  Both Protege 3 and Protege 4 can be
configured to display the class using the label making the meaningless
label effectively invisible.  The rdf:id never changes but spelling
mistakes can be changed by modifying the label.   I have attached an
example of this alternative approach.

-Timothy