[protege-discussion] API

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Apr 29 08:57:43 PDT 2010

This should be on the protege-owl list.

On Apr 29, 2010, at 5:36 AM, manjula wijewickrema wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am little bit struggling in downloading API to query my ontology.
> I am using Protege 4.1 alpha. When I was searching for an API I
> found the page http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/api/
> guide.html and according to that I accessed the page http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/owl/trunk/
>  .  There is a lib/ directory and within that there are some jar
> files. Are they the files do I have to download to use as the API?
> If they are not the corresponding files, then how can I get them?
> Pls. be kind enough to make a reply.

Protege 4.x uses the OWL-API, which is different from the Protege-OWL
API used by Protege 3.x
IIRC Protege 4.1 uses OWL-API version 3, which you can find at http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/

Also, once you have an OWL file, you can use any OWL API you like in
your program.  Unless you are writing a plug-in for Protege and thus
running inside the Protege application, you are not required to use
the same API that Protege does.