[protege-discussion] Moving or Copying subtree of classes from one ontology to another

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Thu Apr 29 09:02:28 PDT 2010

Hi Christian,

I spent a long time looking at this problem - although I'll point out
up-front that I've been working with Protege Frames. If the ontologies
match structurally, you should take a look at Prompt Tab starting with
the "Diff" view. Having done the diff, you can then select instances
to bring from one ontology to the other. It's all graphical and so on
but I felt it was a bit in-practical for some of the scenarios I was
looking at where I needed to import thousands of instances from one
ontology into my target ontology.

To get this working, I've developed an integration tab that enables me
to import source information in any structure into my ontology - and
this helps in mapping from one 'meta-model' to another. There's some
XSLT and Python to do to make it all work but having sorted that out,
the tab does the move/copy of instances from one ontology to the
other. As it's all script-based (driving the Protege API) this could
be easily extended without changing the Tab to apply the same approach
to classes as well as instances and to handle OWL ontologies.
If this sounds interesting, I'd be happy to discuss it further.

Regards

Jonathan

Jonathan Carter
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Proud sponsors of The Essential Project.
www.enterprise-architecture.org