[protege-discussion] Moving or Copying subtree of classes from one ontology to another

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Apr 29 09:09:22 PDT 2010

Should be on the protege-owl mailing list.

On Apr 29, 2010, at 8:41 AM, McArthur, Christian wrote:

> Howdy All!
>
> The research group I am a member of is currently working with two
> ontologies.  We are currently using Protege 3.4 to modify the
> ontologies (the professor leading the group likes the form based
> approach to creating instances).  Recently we have had situations
> where we want to have a subtree of classes that exists in one
> ontology and use it in the other ontology.  I have not found a way
> to accomplish this with Protege 3.4, so I've been modifying the XML/
> OWL files by hand with a text editor (which can be annoying for a
> large group of classes).  Am I overlooking an easier way of moving/
> copying classes from one ontology to another with Protege?

I will assume that you have a reason for wanting to move them and not
just import one ontology into another.

I would look at the PROMPT tab.

[Aside:  This fails on the Mac using the Protege default look-and-
feel.  It works with the Mac look-and-feel, though.]