[protege-discussion] question about web protege layout configuration

Jack Elliott jack.elliott at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 31 09:25:42 PDT 2010

Hi Jie,

I certainly would expect the Changes Portlet to work in a user defined
tab, but there are a few details in the configuration that we should be
sure of. The controllingPortlet tag should be set properly. This element
is should be added after your final columns element, before the closing
</tab> tag.

It is important that the Class Tree Portlet be the first and only
element in the first column defined in the xml until you're comfortable
with the configuration process. If this is the case, then your
controllingPortlet should look like this:

<controllingPortlet reference="../columns/column/portlets/portlet"/>

The controlling portlet tag 'points' to the Class Tree Portlet, which
allows the other portlets to be driven from the selections made in that
widget. You've almost certainly seen the page below, but I'm sending it
through as it contains good configuration examples and a more detailed
discussion of the controlling portlet:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/WebProtegeLayoutConfig

The only advantage to using the predefined tab is that you don't have to
configure the layout yourself. It is easier to use, but much less
flexible than going with a user defined tab. I hope this has been helpful!

thanks,

Jack