[protege-discussion] NCBO Webinar - James Malone, Feb. 3

Trish Whetzel plwhetzel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 00:07:27 PST 2010

The next NCBO Webinar will be held Wednesday, February 3 at 10am PT. Please
note there will not be a VOIP option and attendees must call into the
teleconference.

The Webinar will be presented by Dr. James Malone, from the European
Bioinformatics Institute. The title of the presentation will be “Modeling
gene expression sample variables with an application ontology”. Below is
information on how to join the online meeting and accompanying
teleconference. For a schedule of the 2010 presentations or for more
information about the NCBO Seminar series, see:
http://www.bioontology.org/seminar-series.

TITLE: Modeling gene expression sample variables with an application
ontology

ABSTRACT: Describing biological sample variables with ontologies is complex
due to the cross-domain nature of experiments. Ontologies help in providing
annotation solutions, however, for cross-domain investigations, multiple
ontologies are needed to represent the experimental data. Such ontologies
are subject to rapid change, are often very large and are not interoperable
and present complexities that are a barrier to users of biological
resources. In this talk I will present our approach to curating gene
expression experimental data with an application ontology, the Experimental
Factor Ontology (EFO), designed to meet cross-domain, application focused
use cases. I will also describe the additional querying power such an
ontology now gives us in our applications, such as the Gene Expression Atlas
and ArrayExpress at EBI. Our approach demonstrates a successful methodology
for consuming and applying domain ontologies in a real-world data repository
application.

WEBEX DETAILS:
Topic: NCBO Webinar Series