[protege-discussion] API method for finding all instances through a transitive property?

Olivier Biot olivier.biot at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:59:33 PST 2010

Imagine I have a Part class in which I defined the transitive
"isPartOf" property between Part instances. From a given Part instance
I want to follow the "isPartOf" property up to the top Part instance
to which it is connected through the "isPartOf" property.

A simple instantiation of this is given below:
1. Belgium isPartOf WesternEurope
2. Poland isPartOf EasternEurope
3. WesternEurope isPartOf Europe
4. EasternEurope isPartOf Europe
5. Europe isPartOf TheWorld
6. Africa isPartOf TheWorld

If I start at Belgium I want to see: { WesternEurope, Europe, TheWorld }.
Starting from Poland I want to see: { EasternEurope, Europe, TheWorld }.
Starting from Africa I want to see: { TheWorld }.

How do I do this with the Protege-OWL API?

Best regards,

Olivier