[protege-discussion] Oracle backend

Ulf Licht Ulf.Licht at esprit.com
Wed Feb 24 01:47:14 PST 2010

Hi Scott,

thank you very much for providing your patch immediately! I am still
evaluating if I want to keep the Oracle database as backend (standard of
our IT Operations group) our if I setup a MySQL instance (would have to be
maintained by myself) because of the problem we encountered. If possible I
would like to keep going with Oracle because I want to focus on working
with Protege and not on operating a RDBMS.

I still can not believe that the Protege FAQ states that experience with
Oracle is given <http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#05.01> but it
does not work out of the box. I would love to have your patch included in
a future release of Protege but do not know how to make this happen. I can
not even open a new bug in Bugzilla. Any ideas?

Regarding your change to the class DefaultDatabaseFrameDb I encountered
the problem that a NullPointerException occured when trying to convert a
project from File to Database:

Thread [AWT-EventQueue-0] (Suspended (exception NullPointerException))
        DatabaseUtils.getFrameId(ResultSet, int) line: 271
        DatabaseUtils.getFacet(ResultSet, int, FrameFactory, boolean)
line: 294
        DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.getFacet(ResultSet, int) line: 1135
        DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.getFrameValuesSQL(Frame) line: 952
        DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.getFrameValues(Frame) line: 915

The problem seems to be that when requesting a Facet value from the
ResutSet it returns "null", which is now allowed in the DB after your
modification, and then the test for  "value.equals("")" in
DatabaseUtils.getFrameId(ResultSet, int) fails. After adding an additional
check for null it now works as expected. Did you modify this or other
parts of DatabaseUtils as well?

Regards,
Ulf Licht

Integration Architect
Enterprise Architecture Management

scott o <oswa at yahoo.com>
12.02.2010 22:34

An
Ulf Licht <Ulf.Licht at esprit.com>
Kopie

Thema
Re: Protege with Oracle backend

Hi Ulf,

I don't know if a fix is planned and I did not submit a bug. However,
attached is the DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.java class as I modified it (it is
in the package edu.stanford.smi.protege.storage.database). I have been
using it consistently and without errors with Protege 3.4.1
(jdk1.6.0.0_06) (as part of an Essential Architect for modeling enterprise
architecture). It should compile with the 3.4.3 source. I have also
attached the protege.jar file from my last compile - it  might require
Protege 3.4.1, but will certainly require jdk1.6.0.0_06.
Glad someone else may use the code...

- Scott