[protege-discussion] Function Feature List for Protege? Protege vs. a Database

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 1 16:58:26 PDT 2010

I think the question is broader than Protege vs. databases, and it is
rather: ontologies vs. databases.

Ontologies and databases solve different issues. An ontology is an
abstract representation of a domain that can serve several purposes
(e.g., just building or sharing a common understanding between experts,
integration between different data sources, etc.). Some people would
even argue that the instances (actual data) is not part of an ontology.
The good thing about ontologies is that you can express things that hold
in the domain you modeled: E.g. All humans are mortals, or all students
are persons (not the ideal example, but it should work). And if you
assert something about persons, it will also hold for students. So, it
is really describing kind of general "rules" that hold in your domain.
The fact that the ontology languages (e.g. OWL) have a formal semantics,
also ensures that two different tools will have the same interpretation
of your ontology and data (E.g. You assert in one tool, that John is a
student, then based on some inference, John is also a person. Any other
tool that "understands" OWL will make the exact same inference). Using
that formal semantic, you can also check the consistency of your domain
description, or to classify an instance under a class, or infer new
facts in your domain.

  A database, on the other hand, is really for storing large amounts of
data. It is not really about representing the "rules" that hold in a
domain, or to make inferences. It does have a schema used to store the
data, and you can define some constraints on the schema that can be
enforced. But the type of constraints you express in a database vs. the
axioms in an ontology are very different.

In fact, there is a very nice presentation from Ian Horrocks that deals
with the differences between ontologies and databases that you can
access here:
https://www.posccaesar.org/svn/pub/SemanticDays/2008/Ian_Horrocks_Ontologies_and_databases.pdf

I am also interested to hear what other people think.

Tania