[protege-discussion] Fwd: Installation & Run problem

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 3 18:54:07 PST 2010

Hello Kara,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the installation.

Protege writes data into a log file that is located under the root
directory of the installation.  This started to cause problems on
Windows Vista machines for users that don't have admin privileges (when
Protege is installed in the Program Files directory).  Vista wants all
the programs in the Program Files directory to be read-only.  Are you
able to install Protege outside of the Program Files folder, e.g., on
your Desktop?  I believe this will allow you to run in LUP mode without
being asked for an admin password.

On your 64-bit machine, did you try uninstalling Protege using the "Add
or Remove Programs" dialog in the Control Panel?  I am wondering if this
will work vs. the uninstaller program?  In any case, we ordered a 64-bit
Windows 7 machine for testing.  It is not here and configured yet, but
when it is, I'll be able to more effectively troubleshoot these types of
problems.

Jennifer