[protege-discussion] (Protege Server 3.4.3 database-backend) connections to db are not released

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 4 06:41:37 PST 2010

> However, in our case, the time and memory needed for startup are
> proportional to the number of projects. With around 35 projects in server,
> it takes ~450mb memory space.
What happens if you force a garbage collection?  In Java 6 you can do
this with jvisualvm and there are ways to do this in Java 5 also.  You
may need to force several garbage collections to see what happens.  It
may be though that there is an overhead per project but that this
overhead does not grow with the size of the project.  10+M per project
is not too bad?  It might also be that there is a memory leak that we
don't know about.  We do have systems (the BioPortal) with several
database projects open.  The thing that is different about your
configuration is that your projects import many database projects.  In
the BioPortal, all the projects are a single database project with no
imports.

I know a bit more about the connection problem but haven't entirely
simulated your situation yet.

-Timothy