[protege-discussion] OWLAPI

puja munjal puja_munjal at rediffmail.com
Tue Mar 9 10:26:03 PST 2010

Hi,

I'm new to Eclipse and the Protege-OWL API, so I'm trying to work
through the API Programmer's Guide, but I'm having some problems. The
Hello World example is working fine, but I'm getting the following
warning:

>WARNING: [Local Folder Repository] The specified file must be a directory. (C:\Program Files\Protege_3.3.1\MyProtegePrograms\plugins\edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl) -- LocalFolderRepository.update()

When I try the third example (load an existing ontology), I have
problems with the following function:

>ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModelFromURI(uri)

When I run the application I get the following error:

>Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:
        Unhandled exception type Exception

It seems like these problems are due to how I've set up my classpath,
but I've tried starting a new project and setting it up differently
several times, I've even created a separate folder and copied all the
.jar files into it in case I'd missed some, but I keep getting the
same problems.

As I'm a newbie to this environment, I'm sure it's a very stupid
mistake I've made in setting up the project. The following
instructions from the Programmer's Guide aren't exactly foolproof! :)

"If you are using a Java IDE such as Eclipse or IntelliJ, select the
Protégé installation folder as your project home. Next, add all the
JAR files from the installation to your project classpath."

I apologise for asking such a basic question, but the results I got
from searching the archive haven't resolved the problem.
Thank you in advance for your help,
REGARDS PUJA