[protege-discussion] How to import an Instance List with Data Master from SQL Server 2005 Express?

Joerg Ludwig jl at act-consulting.de
Fri Mar 19 01:59:28 PDT 2010

How to import an Instance List with Data Master from SQL Server 2005 Express?

Hi to all,

After I read a lot of information about how to connect with a SQL Server and
had successfully managed to connect me with my database, I have a question about
the import of instance lists.

But first, I naturally want to show everyone how I successfully managed a SQL
Server 2005 Express connection.

Download and install SQL Server 2005 Express

1. Download [1] and install.

   Hint: I use SQL Server and Windows Authentication Mode as Server
         authentication.

2. Make sure that the SQL Server 2005 is running correctly.

   1st Open a cmd prompt and type the following command:
       sqlcmd -S.\sqlexpress
   2nd You should get a prompt like this
       1>
   3rd Type "Exit" to close sqlcmd.

2. Enable the Named Pipes and TCP/IP Protocols.

   1st Launch SQL Server Configuration Manager
   2nd Expand "SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration"
   3rd Select "Protocols for "SQLEXPRESS""
   4th Enable "Named Pipes" (for local and remote access)
   5th Enable "TCP/IP" (for local and remote access)

3. Restart the SQL Server

   1st Select SQL Server 2005 Services (in the same window)
   2nd Select "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)"
   3rd Restart

4. Start SQL Browser

   1st Select "SQL Server-Browser"
   2nd Restart

   Hint: If the service disabled go into the Services and set it to Automatic.

5. Enable local and remote connections

   1st Launch SQL Server Surface Area Configuration
   2nd Click Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections
   3rd Select Remote Connectiosn
   4th Select Local and remote connections
   5th Select Using both TCP/IP and named pipes

Download and install SQL Server Management Studio Express

1. Download [2] and install.

   1st Start and create a new database e.g. "act".
   2nd Create a table named "Editor"
   3rd Create a column "name" from type nchar(10).
   4th Create a column "salary" from type float.
   5th Add some dummy values for the names like "Mother" and "Father".
   6th Add some dummy values for the salary like "100" and "200".
   7th Set your access settings for the database. (E.g. SQL/Domain user, etc.)

   Hint: I use this table to show an import of instances from class "Editor".

Download and install SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver 1.2

1. Download [3] and install.

2. Run the exe file and unpack this zip file in your %ProgramFiles% directory.

3. Copy and paste the following two files:

   sqljdbc_auth.dll: