[protege-discussion] Please Help

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Mar 19 09:22:30 PDT 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 5:47 PM, hana wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> This is my first time to create an ontology using protege 3.4.4. The
> ontology is based on everything that can be advertised in the
> educational
> field.

I assume that you intend to use OWL as your modeling language.  If so,
you should join the specific OWL mailing list, since that handles OWL-
specific questions.

> I would really appreciate helping me find solutions for the following
> questions:
>
> 1. What is the best project type: RDF files, OWL/RDF files, OWL/RDF
> databases etc.?

I would suggest using OWL/RDF files.  That is the most straight-
forward way to build an OWL ontology.

> 2. What is the best language profile for creating my ontology: OWL-
> Lite,
> OWL-DL, OWL-Full, or RDF schema and owl?

Start with OWL-DL.

> 3. I will have a concept named "record" which I mean by it "school
> record,
> school report, etc." So, my question is do I need to specify that this
> record is not a music record? I mean since my ontology doesn't have
> a music
> concept in it.

You only need to worry about disjointness for classes that appear in
your ontology.

But it is good that you are thinking about these issues.  When you
create your classes, it is good to get into the habit of attaching
comments to them.  This information would be something good to write
in the comment field for your Record class.