[protege-discussion] First question, and a test

Peris Brodsky perisbrodsky2011 at u.northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 22 11:47:56 PDT 2010

Greetings, all.

This list doesn't seem to be as busy as advertised, so I'm doing a test of
it, in addition to asking my first question.

I'm new to ontology, and to Protégé, so forgive my lack of foundation here.

As I would use Protégé, in a production software medical device product,
ontology design and knowledge acquisition would occur on two very different
time scales, and be performed by distinct groups of people.

In what mode of usage can Protégé provide an immutable view of an ontology
(project), while allowing full mutation of knowledge (instances)?  This sort
of implies an authenticated multiuser environment, which the Protégé
multi-user mode seems to support.  But what I can't tell from the
documentation is whether the policy mechanisms can support instance-only
editing mode that I describe.

Thanks in advance...

-Peris
--
“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?”