[protege-discussion] First question, and a test

CCY ccy.clary at wanadoo.fr
Mon Mar 22 16:00:55 PDT 2010

Greetings, all.

This list doesn't seem to be as busy as advertised, so I'm doing a test
of it, in addition to asking my first question.

I'm new to ontology, and to Protégé, so forgive my lack of foundation here.

As I would use Protégé, in a production software medical device product,
ontology design and knowledge acquisition would occur on two very
different time scales, and be performed by distinct groups of people.

In what mode of usage can Protégé provide an immutable view of an
ontology (project), while allowing full mutation of knowledge
(instances)? This sort of implies an authenticated multiuser
environment, which the Protégé multi-user mode seems to support. But
what I can't tell from the documentation is whether the policy
mechanisms can support instance-only editing mode that I describe.

Thanks in advance...

-Peris
--
“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?”