[protege-discussion] differences in owl files

Patrick Sannes patrick at i-dev.net
Mon May 10 05:21:47 PDT 2010

Hi,

Im working my way through the book Semantic web programming. They advice me
to work with protégé, so that why I end up here ;)

I downloaded protégé ( and tried it both with 4.02 and 4.1). My main problem
is that my files are not the same as the ones provided on the website of the
book.

Here are some samples:
<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#hasFriend"/> In my file is
<owl:SymmetricProperty rdf:ID="hasFriend"> in the books file.
-----
      <owl:Thing rdf:about="#Individual_6">
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="#Individual"/>

In my file is:
<Individual rdf:ID="Individual_5">  in the books file.
-----
The latter one is not consistent generated by protégé, the first instance is
as displayed in two tags, and the following instances are as the books
file...

Am I doing something incorrect?

A second question I have, is there a way to work with the Schema file and a
separate instance file instead of working with both in one file?

Regards
Patrick