[protege-discussion] differences in owl files

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Mon May 10 14:40:33 PDT 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 5:21 AM, Patrick Sannes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im working my way through the book Semantic web programming. They
> advice me
> to work with protégé, so that why I end up here ;)
>
> I downloaded protégé ( and tried it both with 4.02 and 4.1). My main
> problem
> is that my files are not the same as the ones provided on the
> website of the
> book.
>
> Here are some samples:
> <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#hasFriend"/> In my file is
> <owl:SymmetricProperty rdf:ID="hasFriend"> in the books file.
> -----
>      <owl:Thing rdf:about="#Individual_6">
>        <rdf:type rdf:resource="#Individual"/>
>
> In my file is:
> <Individual rdf:ID="Individual_5">  in the books file.
> -----
> The latter one is not consistent generated by protégé, the first
> instance is
> as displayed in two tags, and the following instances are as the books
> file...

There is more than one way to write an OWL file in an RDF/XML
encoding.  You will find that the different ways of writing the file
are semantically equivalent.  So you should just concentrate on the
meaning of the OWL model and don't worry about how it looks in the
actual owl file.  The exact details of how the model is stored doesn't
really matter to you unless you are trying to write an OWL parser.

> Am I doing something incorrect?

No.

> A second question I have, is there a way to work with the Schema
> file and a
> separate instance file instead of working with both in one file?

Yes.  See the discussion on the protege-owl mailing list.
That's a better place to ask OWL questions anyway.  More OWL-savvy
people read that.