[protege-discussion] Model the array

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Mon May 17 15:08:14 PDT 2010

Jinsongdi,

The awkward part about modeling a matrix is the ordering: you need to
keep the ordering for rows and cols. There are some ways you can do
that: you can use a numerical index for the rows and cols, or you can
use linked lists to represent the rows and cols.

The modeling using an index, could look like:

Have a class "Matrix" that has a property "rows" (domain of "rows" is
"Matrix"). The rows property has as range class "Row" and has multiple
cardinality.

The class "Row" has an integer property "index", and a property "cols"
that has as range the class "Cell".

The class "Cell" has an integer property "index", and a property "value"
(that can be whatever datatype).

A matrix would be represented by an instance of the class "Matrix" that
has several rows as instances of the class "Row" and each of them has as
columns instances of the class "Cell" and that contain the actual value
in the cell.

However, this modeling does not ensure that the matrix is well formed.
You can use rules (e.g. SWRL rules) to check the integrity of the matrix
representation.

Still, the question is what do you want to do with the matrix
information? Do you intend to use it for DL reasoning, or only to store
it somehow in the ontology?

For the 1st case, I don't have a good answer, maybe the linked list
approach would work better, see how lists are represented in OWL.. See
[1,2]. The solution I proposed is for case 2. But even for that, if you
do not really need those values in the ontology, maybe you can just
reference them from an external source, rather than embedding them in
the ontology.

If this is an OWL question, please post on the protege-owl mailing list.
http://protege.stanford.edu/community/lists.html

Thanks,
Tania

[1]: