[protege-discussion] Web-Protege Implementation

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu May 27 17:33:11 PDT 2010

Hi Peter,

Everything seems fine with your WebProtege installation. Deploying the
default WebProtege is simple, but usually you want to customize it for
your own project, and for this it would be good to have some knowledge
on how to use the rich client Protege. There are some limited features
available in the web interface for project and user administration, so
some of the configurations you need to do in the Protege rich client.

To add your own project to the metaproject, you need access to the
metaproject file: metaproject.ppj, metaproject.pins and metaproject.pont
(which it seems you have). Download them to your computer. Then, open
the metaproject.pprj in the Protege rich client, and add a new Instance
of Project that corresponds to the project you want to edit. The
metaproject is used for the configuration of WebProtege: what projects
should be available, user groups, access permissions, etc. It is kind of
the administrative application for WebProtege. We have documentation on
the wiki on how to edit the metaproject (Add your own project, create
user groups, etc.) [1]

When you create the new project instance in the metaproject, you need to
specify its location on the server. You can talk to your IT people, to
see where you can store the project. One idea is to store it in the
projects directory of WebProtege, just like the example projects.
Ideally, you should store the project in a database backend, so that if
there is some crash, your data is still safe. We have documentation on
how to store a project in database format on the wiki [2,3].

Then, you need to decide who has write permission on your project. You
can create a group in the metaproject (e.g. "MyGroup"), and only give to
MyGroup write permission to your project instance (as described in [1]).
You can also make the default group of a user to be your group. Go to
the Classes Tab in the metaproject, edit the template slot "group" by
double clicking on it, and select "View slot at class", and add in the
Default values "MyGroup".

Then, you can create a group called "CreateUsersGroup", and create an
operation "CreateUsers", and give your group the "CreateUsers"
permission on the server instance. Make sure that you add your user to
the CreateUsersGroup. Then, in WebProtege, when you log in, you will see
a menu item under the Options menu -> Add new user. In this way, you
will be able to create new users that will be added to your group on the
fly. You can also create users from the metaproject, if you want more
control on the access rights.

Once you are done with editing the metaproject, save it, and the send it
to the IT people to copy it to the projects/metaproject folder of
WebProtege.

Another thing is that ideally, you should run WebProtege in the
"External Server Mode" [4]: this means that the ontologies are loaded on
a Protege server, and WebProtege will connect to this server to load the
ontologies. This also means that you can connect to the same ontology
using a Protege rich client to perform operations that are not possible
in the web client, or simply to check things out. If you use this mode,
you'll be able to use the server admin application [5] and configure the
server while it is running (add new project, create users, change
permissions, etc.).

I know this configuration sounds like a daunting task, but this is a one
time configuration that you won't have to change later. You can contact
me privately, if you need help setting up WebProtege.

Tania

[1]:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_Client_Server_Tutorial_Configuration#Add_your_own_project_in_the_metaproject
[2]: Frames: