[protege-discussion] Detect entities refactoring/removing events with Protege4.1 owl api

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 8 17:04:18 PST 2010

On 11/08/2010 10:16 AM, Daniele Bacarella wrote:
> It only provides a list of ontologychanges from which it's not
> possible identifying  uniquely  the event and with it the
> entity/entities involved.

Just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing, I believe
that we are talking about

    getOWLModelManager().getOWLOntologyManager().addOntologyChangeListener(...);

I don't know exactly what you mean by "it's not possible identifying
  uniquely  the event" and "the entity/entities involved".  It is true
that the ontology changes that you listen for this way are very low
level.  It might be difficult to detect a refactor operation because it
involves many ontology changes no one of which indicates a refactor.

It is not too difficult though - for example - to detect when an entity
is deleted.  In the OWL API, an entity is deleted from an ontology when
the ontology contains no axioms that mention the entity.  Thus an entity
will only be finally removed when an axiom is removed that references
the entity.  So when the listener detects that an axiom is removed, the
listener can look at the entities referenced by the axiom
(axiom.getSignature()) and then see if these entities are still
referenced by some axiom in the ontology
(ontology.containsEntityInSignature(entity)).  So for example the
following code will detect deletions:

    {
    	org.semanticweb.owlapi.model.OWLOntology ontology = change.getOntology();
    	boolean deleted = false;
    	for (org.semanticweb.owlapi.model.OWLEntity e : change.getAxiom().getSignature()) {
    		if (!ontology.containsEntityInSignature(e)) {
    			System.out.println("Entity " + e + " deleted");
    			deleted = true;
    		}
    	}
    	return deleted;
    }

> I also tried getting , say , if an event was "Entity removed" or not
> checking that all the changes were "REMOVE CHANGE" but I failed
> getting the entity name in case it got subclasses.

There is no "entity removed" event (like in Protege 3) but you can still
detect when an entity is removed.

Refactors would be much more difficult to detect because they are
complex operations that can be implemented in many different ways.

-Timothy