[protege-discussion] a simple questions about owl programming

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 17 10:01:01 PST 2010

> by the way, I use protege 4.0 to develop a owl file

It depends on how much work you have done at this point, but my usual
recommendation with apis is that you only use the Protege 3 owl api if
you plan on using some of the Protege 3 capabilities (e.g. there is some
tab or widget that you want/need).  Usually I would recommend the
Manchester owl api (owlapi.sourceforge.net, used by Protege 4) as it has
less warts, handles OWL 2.0 and corresponds very well to the OWL
specifications.  If you have more of an RDF orientation rather than an
OWL orientation, there are many other apis that work very well for RDF
and I am not sure which is best.

For the Protege 3 OWL api Thomas's answer is right on but I would also add

     getPossibleRDFProperties()

to get a list of all the RDFProperties that could have a value.

> he code on website is like this:

A glance at this code from the web site shows it as a bit brittle.  I
think that it will only find classes that are declared to be subclasses
of owl:Thing.

> but I still very confused by these methods...

I started trying to make an example but realized that I am not sure what
the question is.  Maybe some more details about what you are trying to
do and what you expect.

> if I click Jim as the picture, I can get the result as the rigt part
> of the picture displayed, Usage

Usage of a resource is one of the things that is particularly difficult
to do in a complete way with the Protege 3 OWL api.  It is very easy
with the Manchester OWL api.

-Timothy