[protege-discussion] hasValue restrictions & enumerated classes in Protégé 4.0 build 115

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 23 12:27:16 PST 2010

> Anyway, I would like to ask you your advise about the better version
> of Protégé I should use to build Web Ontologies. I'm interested on the
> automatic generation of the OWL code and its comparation with the W3C
> specification of the language. In other words, I'm trying to get a
> easier way of learning the language OWL! Can you tell me something
> about this?

I will start with the easy part.  Don't use Protege 4.0.  Use Protege
4.1 instead.

In terms of whether you should use Protege 3.4 or Protege 4.1, the
answer is less clear.  I tend to favor Protege 4.1 myself but I am
willing to switch back and forth when the need arises.

The tools are somewhat different.  One reason to favor Protege 3 is the
forms interfaces that help when you are working with an ontology with
many individuals.  Protege 4.1 does not handle individuals as well as
Protege 3.4 and this is something that needs work.  One reason to favor
Protege 4.1 is that it can handle OWL 2 files.  In addition, Protege 4.1
is where the future lies.  Protege 3.4 has reached a stable point and is
no longer being changed very much.

Protege 4.1 is much more in synch with the W3C specifications than
Protege 3.4.  For code generation, there are several plugins in Protege
3.4.  There is also a recent addition to the Protege 4.1 applications
which has not yet been tested very much.

-Timothy