[protege-discussion] Exception in inference api

Soha Said sohaelshafey at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 15:34:15 PDT 2010

Why using inferrence api from java shows me TopObjectProperty and
TopDataProperty to each individual?
and
This is another the trace from protege when I use classify from reasoner menu

Error 2 Logged at Thu Oct 14 00:29:36 EET 2010
NullPointerException: null
    org.semanticweb.HermiT.hierarchy.InstanceManager.getTypes(Unknown Source)
    org.semanticweb.HermiT.Reasoner.getTypes(Unknown Source)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.frame.individual.OWLClassAssertionAxiomTypeFrameSection$1.run(OWLClassAssertionAxiomTypeFrameSection.java:73)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.inference.ReasonerPreferences.executeTask(ReasonerPreferences.java:181)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.frame.individual.OWLClassAssertionAxiomTypeFrameSection.refillInferred(OWLClassAssertionAxiomTypeFrameSection.java:70)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.frame.AbstractOWLFrameSection.setRootObject(AbstractOWLFrameSection.java:232)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.frame.AbstractOWLFrame.refill(AbstractOWLFrame.java:94)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.frame.AbstractOWLFrame.setRootObject(AbstractOWLFrame.java:86)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.framelist.OWLFrameList.setRootObject(OWLFrameList.java:349)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.view.individual.OWLIndividualDescriptionViewComponent.updateView(OWLIndividualDescriptionViewComponent.java:41)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.view.individual.AbstractOWLIndividualViewComponent.updateView(AbstractOWLIndividualViewComponent.java:41)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.view.individual.AbstractOWLIndividualViewComponent.updateView(AbstractOWLIndividualViewComponent.java:17)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.view.AbstractOWLSelectionViewComponent.updateViewContentAndHeader(AbstractOWLSelectionViewComponent.java:194)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.view.AbstractOWLSelectionViewComponent$1.selectionChanged(AbstractOWLSelectionViewComponent.java:72)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.selection.OWLSelectionModelImpl.fireSelectionChanged(OWLSelectionModelImpl.java:192)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.selection.OWLSelectionModelImpl.updateSelectedObject(OWLSelectionModelImpl.java:180)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.selection.OWLSelectionModelImpl.setSelectedObject(OWLSelectionModelImpl.java:168)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.selection.OWLSelectionModelImpl.setSelectedEntity(OWLSelectionModelImpl.java:203)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLWorkspace.verifySelection(OWLWorkspace.java:378)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLWorkspace.handleModelManagerEvent(OWLWorkspace.java:298)

    org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLWorkspace.access$000(OWLWorkspace.java:132)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLWorkspace$1.handleChange(OWLWorkspace.java:221)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl.fireEvent(OWLModelManagerImpl.java:763)

 org.protege.editor.owl.model.inference.OWLReasonerManagerImpl$2.run(OWLReasonerManagerImpl.java:244)

    java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.Dialog$2.run(Unknown Source)
    java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)

 org.protege.editor.owl.ui.inference.ReasonerProgressUI$3.run(ReasonerProgressUI.java:156)

    java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

You still did not send the stack trace for your exception.  An example
of a stack trace for an exception would be something like this:

    java.lang.ClassCastException:
    uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.owlapi.OWLObjectAllValuesFromImpl cannot be cast
      to org.semanticweb.owlapi.model.OWLClass

atuk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.owlapi.OWLClassImpl.compareObjectOfSameType(OWLClassImpl.java:434)

at uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.owlapi.OWLObjectImpl.compareTo(OWLObjectImpl.java:167)

      at
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.owlapi.OWLObjectImpl.compareTo(OWLObjectImpl.java:41)
      at java.util.TreeMap.put(TreeMap.java:562)
      at java.util.TreeSet.add(TreeSet.java:255)

at uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.owlapi.OWLClassImpl.getSuperClasses(OWLClassImpl.java:206)

Each line in such a trace provides some additional information for a
developer to analyze.

I would say that the API is working because I have modified some code in
Protege 4 recently that looks very much like what you are writing.  The
code invoked by Protege 4.1 by File->Export Inferred Hierarchy is very
similar to yours.

-Timothy