[protege-discussion] How to check the inconsistence

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 20 17:47:20 PDT 2010

> I had no idea of what are these codes talking about.
> Could anyone please tell me how to find a clue for solving
> the problem?

Unfortunately I don't know how to handle this case yet.  The problem is
that a reasoner will refuse to function with an inconsistent ontology.
Inconsistent classes or properties are fine but when the whole ontology
is inconsistent the reasoner is stuck.  Unfortunately the best solution
that I know for this at present is to use a command line tool.  Download
pellet (http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/) and run

    pellet.sh explain --inconsistent ...your ontology...

> The previous version of protege can give intructions on
> which terms or porperties are inconsistent with each
> other. Unfortunately, in Protege 4 this function has been
> deleted. :(

This has actually been revived with the latest Protege 4.1 and the
latest updates.  We should have a release with this functionality soon.
But unfortunately this will still not cover your case.

-Timothy