[protege-discussion] Heap space and runtime problem

Thomas Russ tar at isi.edu
Mon Oct 25 11:12:45 PDT 2010

On Oct 25, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Umut wrote:

> Dear all!
>
> Im new to the Protege API and im currently trying to develope an
> ontology for Sensor Observation Services.
> Theses services can contain several hundred sensors, and this is
> where the trouble starts. When I map the Sensor Observation Service
> into my OWL ontology I have to create individuals of all sensors and
> their attributes (~20 per Sensor). Especially the creating of
> properties between all the attributes and the sensors takes a lot of
> time (30-40min, which is actually not a big problem) and apparently
> heap space.
> No matter how much I increase the heap space my program crashes when
> mapping Sensor Observation Services with more than 300 Sensors.
> Is this normal or do I have some unefficient code? If yes, any ideas
> where I should check?
> Im also open for different solutions to solve the problem :D

This sounds like you would have about 6000 instances, which is a
reasonable, although not too huge size.

Which API are you using?  Protege-OWL-API (Protege 3.x) or OWL-API
(Protege 4.x)?

Could you show us a bit of the code that you are running to create the
individuals, attributes and link them using properties?