[protege-discussion] Protege 3.4.4 (579) 64-bit max heap size

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 3 12:51:24 PDT 2010

> Do I need a specialy compiled protege.jar?

I  don't believe that this could be the case.  It seems to me that your
issue could only involve Java and how it is  invoked.  It looks like you
are taking the right steps to verify your memory  settings.

> Windows 7 task manager show java.exe quickly climing to about 2G and stays there. What could explain this? Do I need a specialy compiled protege.jar?

One possible explanation is that nothing is wrong.  Java has a strategy
where it increases the heap in stages as it thinks it is needed.  I have
used tools like jvisualvm and watched what Java does.  Sometimes, it
seems to me when I watch this behavior that Java could perform better if
it increased its heap.  Instead it would stubbornly stop increasing its
heap and perform periodic garbage collections.   Very likely Java is
right in this case.

What happens if - when the memory is at 2G  - you run some program that
is guaranteed to eat up and hold the available memory?

-Timothy