[protege-discussion] Protege 3.4.4 (579) 64-bit max heap size

Peris Brodsky perisbrodsky2011 at
Fri Sep 3 17:02:34 PDT 2010

I would try setting the initial heap size, as well (-Xms6g).  Otherwise, the
heap must be grown over the runtime in possibly many smaller chunks, which
can slow performance.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Len Yabloko <protege at> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I am running latest Protege Frames version on Windows 7 64-bit and trying
> to generate a very large frame ontology by loading data from MySQL database
> using frame API. I have allocated 6G to jvm and checked Runtime.maxMemory()
> to verify that is was correctly allocated. But for some reason when memory
> reaches about 2.5G (according to Windows task manager) it stops allocating
> and loading slows after about 15,000 frames loaded. I tried launching
> Protege with -vmargs -Xmx6g using 64-bit jvm, but no luck so far.
> Can someone suggest what may be a cause of such behavior?

“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?”